Sunday, December 7, 2008

Are primitive cultures, like the Sawi, necessary in our present world?

Honestly, I would say that primitive cultures, like the Sawi, aren’t necessary in our world. They don’t have any impact on the world; many of our lives would still remain the same even if we hadn’t learned about the Sawi. This may sound selfish but primitive cultures don’t really offer us anything. Though this is impossible, if America went extinct because of an unknown sickness, the whole world would go into a stage of chaos. Even if a smaller country, like the Philippines, went extinct, the impact wouldn’t be as big, but people would defiantly be devastated. Not many people know about primitive cultures, like the Sawi. The commercial world would agree with me. Like Don Richardson mentioned in his essay, if he hadn’t gone in first, others would have gone in to take the land. Isolation has caused the Sawi to be of no worth to the rest of the world.
As a Christian, I should think otherwise. God has called us to love others and make disciples. The Sawi matters to Him for they are a part of His creation. God cares about every man living on this earth; therefore, we should care. God wants everyone in his creation to be with Him in His heaven but because of sin, it is inevitable that some will experience his wrath in Hell. As believers, God commands us to go out and preach the Good News so that those, who haven’t been informed, may know where they can go after their life on earth. It is a Christian’s duty to spread the Word of God so to them, all cultures, whether primitive or not, should matter.
My beliefs are in a God who created the universe but my faith still hasn’t been grounded. I am still learning more about my God, trying to understand his ways. But there will never be a point in my life when my faith has reached its max because in Christianity, I believe there is only growing. That is why my thoughts sway between the worldly and the Christian point of view.

No comments: